From: "Dubin, Elisabeth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 11:21:40 -0400
To: "Bike listserve (E-mail)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [UC] RE: Bike traffic increases dramatically on Spruce St

Just for the record, a few weeks ago I was riding in that bike lane and got doored by a passenger who suddenly got out of a car in the lane next to me.  I wound up in the ER for an open fracture to the toe (weird injury, I know, but I was wearing sandals).  Before that, I was always vigilant and terrified when riding on Spruce between 38th and 33rd, and now I just plain won't ride there at all.  It's just too busy with taxis, loading, and chaos.  No one pays attention to bikes, and despite the sign regarding ticketing vehicles in the bike lane, I don't think people think twice about hovering there in their cars.  I honestly don't know what should be done there, but there is still an inherent conflict between the bike lane presence and the fact that it just isn't safe... in other words, just because you put a bike lane there does change the nature of the street.   So, what's the solution?

(I'm ccing the univcity list on this, not to bring up the bike topic again but just as a reminder to be safe on Spruce.)

ELISABETH DUBIN