I think the last sentance says it all
" Be inclusive and work together is what I am saying."
t I think just tearing up the UCD is not solving the problem. Communication to
the UCD would be advisable either though the community asscaitions or as an
individual.
Thanks
Mark

Wilma de Soto wrote:
Re: [UC] "... when things were really bad around here ..." Dear Sandra,

I am not disputing or disparaging the positive changes in the neighborhood.  I thought I had made myself clear about that.

My point was how things became so bad in the first place, and how the UCD needs to be more sensitive to people’s feelings with regard to these changes; particularly the merchants on Baltimore Ave. who do not factor into those changes.

Also, homeowners of color who started the flight and were abandoned, that stuck it out trying to maintain their properties when all around them was deteriorating.

Here’s an example at the other extreme; Koch's Deli.  Both parents are gone, and brother Louis, but Bobby struggled to maintain the business and its standard in spite of years of the abandoned Acme across the street and the crime wave during the 90's.

He stuck it out when he could have very well sold (he has health problems) and maintained the quality and standard that was there when his parents were running the deli and he was just helping out.

Would that block of Locust St. still be as welcoming to Penn students if Bobby had sold Koch's?  I believe not.  It’s an example of what can happen when people don’t flee.

The neighborhood had deteriorated due to many factors.  Now, that people wish to “reclaim” it, so to speak, what manner of procedure they use to do so can make a lot of difference.

It’s really a “Story of Two Neighborhoods” whose needs and vision for the area (according to the survey results) differ markedly.   If the UCD has taken on this role, then my opinion is that they be cognizant of feelings of many long-time residents and merchants without appearing to bulldoze their way down the avenue, which apparently many people feel is what is happening.

Be inclusive and work together is what I am saying.

Wilma