From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2003 9:55 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [UC] Boy Scouts:  Friend or Foe??

I wanted to make some comments after having read some of the posts this morning. First of all, let me put forward two facts (1) I am a long time BSA volunteer and an Eagle Scout. (2) I disagree with the policy on "avowed" homosexuals participating with the scouts (both members and leaders). I believe the Scouts' stance on homosexual members and leaders is backward.

http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/article.asp?ArtID=6414

The Scouts used to discriminate based on race, but they did so at a time where it was socially acceptable to do so. They stopped doing so sometime around Brown v. Board of Education (decided fifty years ago). The main difference between race and sexual orientation is that the Supreme Court has said that the BSA can set standards of membership -- they can exclude gays, the godless and girls.

http://www.scouting.org/media/press/020206/index.html

I disagree with their stand on homosexuals, and agree with the stand on atheists. Duty to a higher power is a core belief (there are Hindu, Buddhist, and other religious scouts), while the homosexual stance is made for more political reasons. The Scouts don't let girls in to their core programs (there are female Venturers and Explorers) because in these country the Girl Scouts exist as a separate organization.

By supporting the organization I am trying to bring a leadership and training organization to young people. Giving them the tools to make ethical and moral decisions when they get older. As a member of this organization I have been advocating for a change in the policy. I have been working within the organization to advocate change.

What type of message does this send to the young people? That change, though influenced by outside events, eventually is made by people from within. If everyone who disagrees with the policy were to leave the organization it would leave only those who support it.

Many United Ways have defunded the scouts. However in many areas of the country the United Ways have lost support, and the Scouts gained financial support because of this. Not in Philadelphia.

Finally, around Thanksgiving the couts collect 1,000,000 cans of food for the needy. I support that.