In a message dated 3/14/2004 10:57:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Why do people look at porn? Why do people read menus when they're in a
restaurant?
Brian, you bring up an interesting and deeply philosophical question here, and perhaps one that would be more appropriately discussed on the Culture list.

Having said that, I want to ask this. Are you seriously considering the act of reading a menu analogous to that of ogling naked people involved in a variety of lewd, provocative and sometimes deeply disturbing activities? Are you suggesting that some people, hopefully not respectable yuppie citizens of University City Village, are so needy that they are actually driven to look at disgusting pictures of naked and/or half-naked persons, sometimes three or four, performing a whole spectrum of lascivious bodily functions, many involving leather thongs, spiked heels and/or whips in order to arrive at a decision as to what they are going to "consume" next?? I SINCERELY HOPE not. At any rate, it would be best that you take this topic off UC List, a wholesome bourgeois forum, and also your filthy mouth, over to the Culture forum, where these "things" can be analyzed and considered at more depth.

Ross Bender
http://rossbender.org