From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Wilma
de Soto
Sent:
Monday, June 28, 2004 7:12 PM
To: S. Sharrieff Ali; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; UnivCity listserv
Subject: Re: [UC] Catchment Area: Why oh Why oh Why???

Dear Sharrieff and Jim,

Do not forget the
Alexander Wilson School at 46th & Woodland Ave within our boundaries along with Drew, Lea and Locke.

You are quite right that the catchment area has been a serious bone of contention.

Despite the vehement efforts of the some people in UC to change the catchment area, the SDP (
School District of Philadelphia) wanted this to be a true neighborhood school (according to guidelines and in collaboration with the U of Pa.

This eventually weighed in SHCA’s favor) and therefore negated the need (perhaps for SHCA at that point) for a united UC front such as the UCCC.

Since SHCA, lobbied heavily to start the UCCC, after the Woodlands Cemetery forced the UCHS to move out, several of the other community group members of the UCCC who were not included in the area designated for the future Penn-Alexander School claimed they had felt bamboozled (rightly or wrongly).

Also, the closing and dissolution of the much revered and beloved UC New School (to rally support for the future
Penn-Assisted School by which these community groups hoped to benefit) added to that feeling.

Perhaps it should be lobbied further now but to what end, I don’t know.

However, I do like that this school is in the neighborhood and pleasantly surprised the
Penn-Alexander School chooses to link its website to the website (my Tech Leader and I co-designed and co-authored and built in 2001-02  for our school) for grades 1-5.

By the way, I found this out quite by accident and was surprised.  (RE-ally!)  UC Rides Again.

-Wilma

By the way I discovered this quite by accident.

-Wilma

On