Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 4:02 PM
Subject: [UC] Cost of "historically correct" work

The question has been raised several times on this list about the cost of "historically correct" repairs, as opposed to -- say -- quality work that doesn't necessarily comply with the letter of some book written by the folks at the Department of the Interior in Washington DC (home of pork).

Here are some figures, not directly applicable to your house or mine, that show how far afield this thing can get. The following is a quote from the findings of the Commonwealth Court in sustaining the judgement of the Court of Common Pleas that the Historical Commission was violating the 5th Amendment in denying the Church of Christ (63rd & Vine) a demolition permit and trying to force them to restore their building.
"The court noted testimony regarding the $823,329 cost estimate for stabilizing the bell tower, which would increase the value of the property from $300,000 to $500,000, and the $3,063,500 cost estimate for bringing the property into Code compliance, which would increase the property value to $1.2 million."
If you still think those new chestnut windows, oak doors, custom-turned porch spindles, or one-off precisely-proportioned doric columns will increase the value of your property, maybe you should think again... $3 million to increase the value of the property by $900,000 doesn't sound like a sound investment to me.

Al Krigman
(Left of Ivan Groznyj)