In a message dated 8/11/04 3:29:49 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Those who are really "of" as opposed to merely "in"  our neighborhood know that if someone leaves furniture on the street late in the afternoon before regular trash day, unless it's hopelessly (and even this is a highly subjective term) busted up, ratty, etc., someone who needs it will take it before morning. This is a form of waste recovery practiced around here for years, that should be encouraged and not discouraged.

And, not everyone who salvages viable stuff this way is a destitute college student, a struggling young member of the working force, a miscellaneous KRF tenant, or a homeless person looking to furnish his or her corrugated cardboard shelter.

I agree; some of my favorite pieces of furniture have come from the trash.

Melani Lamond