And the H L Mencken prize for cynicism goes to Dr Amy Gutman. (Yes, I'm disappointed that I didn't win... didn't even come in a close second).

I refer to the meeting at The Rotunda last night. As promised, the cookies were outstanding. And for anyone who preferred healthy to cholesterol, there was a nice selection of fruit. No cheese. Maybe they didn't want any competition for the two 'big cheeses' on the program.

But, as for the rest... The University Trustee who's the expert on the community because he lived here in the era preceding time immemorial said a few meaningless words. Then Dr Gutman gave what the politicians would call her "stump speech" on community involvement and deliberative democracy. And a few UCCC delegates from its member organizations made announcements of urban theme park events. Immediately thereafter, Glenn Bryan adjourned the meeting "to allow time for socializing."

I was flabbergasted. Amy Gutman, this paragon of deliberative democracy (her forte, in case you weren't aware), made nice-nice on the topic, then there was no deliberation permitted. No question and answer period, no deliberation with what were ostensibly the leaders of the community. A few weeks ago, in the DP, Dr Gutmnan was quoted as having said she talked to Councilwoman Blackwell, the mayor, our members of congress, and so forth -- then asked rhetorically "who else should I talk to?" The operative word, apparently is "to." Based on last night's dog and pony show, she talks "to" and not "with" people.

I mentioned this to Carol Schemann during our "socializing," and she made two points. First, that there would be other meetings. And second that it was a big university and we shouldn't feel we have to have access to the president for most matters.

She's right in that there will undoubtedly be other meetings. But the tone was set very badly at this one -- Dr Gutmann assuring the benighted that the anointed weren't going to leave them unilluminated, then not bothering to get any input that might conflict with her enlightened vision of how to achieve this lofty goal.

She's also right in that nobody should expect the president of a great research university to micromanage community affairs. But, if those who are responsible for this function and who act as her advisers and implementers are providing biased feedback -- isolating her from the community as they did last night -- the omens are not auspicious.

Al Krigman
(Left of Ivan Groznyj)