Title: Re: [UC] Why Libertarians Need to Help Vote Bush Out
I vote swapped in 2000, also with someone from Texas. We emailed before the election and afterward. The site was shut down shortly after I “swapped” votes. The political powers that be wanted the swapping to stop so they took the folks behind the website to court to argue the legality of swapping votes. While in court, they had an injunction “temporarily” shut down the site until they decided if it was kosher or not. So, if you are interested in this, do it sooner rather than later.

Naomi

on 10/17/04 10:23 PM, Tony Lapp at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

One option local third-party supporters might consider is available through www.votepair.org <http://www.votepair.org/> . The idea is to connect to and come to an informal agreement with a Kerry supporter in a non-battleground state to “pair” your votes.  I did this in 2000 through another website, hooking up with a Gore supporter in Texas (named Clydie!).  So Clydie and I agreed that he would vote for Nader for me down there, and I would vote for Gore up here.  That way I got my third-party vote counted on the national level, and Clydie did his part to get another important vote being cast for Gore up here in Pa. where it mattered for the electoral college.  (Think about what could have happened if just a few more of the Nader supporters in Florida had done this back then…)

There’s lots of information on the website FAQ page, including thoughtful responses to these very logical questions:  “Is vote pairing legal? <http://www.votepair.org/faq.php#legal> ” and “How do I know that the person with whom I am paired will honor their pledge? <http://www.votepair.org/faq.php#howdoIknow>

Check it out.

Tony Lapp
4816 Beaumont Avenue

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, October 17, 2004 7:46 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [UC] Why Libertarians Need to Help Vote Bush Out

Today's New York Times Magazine presents yet another stark demonstration of why Bush needs to be voted out of office. In a word, the man is totally out of touch with reality, dangerously so. In the excerpt below, Bruce Bartlett, former Reagan adviser and "libertarian Republican" describes how Bush believes he is on a "mission from God."
What does this have to do with University City? I can think of several things right off the top of my head, but I'll let others go first.

Ross Bender
http://rossbender.org

Without a Doubt
By RON SUSKIND

Published: October 17, 2004

ruce Bartlett, a domestic policy adviser to Ronald Reagan and a treasury official for the first President Bush, told me recently that ''if Bush wins, there will be a civil war in the Republican Party starting on Nov. 3.'' The nature of that conflict, as Bartlett sees it? Essentially, the same as the one raging across much of the world: a battle between modernists and fundamentalists, pragmatists and true believers, reason and religion.

''Just in the past few months,'' Bartlett said, ''I think a light has gone off for people who've spent time up close to Bush: that this instinct he's always talking about is this sort of weird, Messianic idea of what he thinks God has told him to do.'' Bartlett, a 53-year-old columnist and self-described libertarian Republican who has lately been a champion for traditional Republicans concerned about Bush's governance, went on to say: ''This is why George W. Bush is so clear-eyed about Al Qaeda and the Islamic fundamentalist enemy. He believes you have to kill them all. They can't be persuaded, that they're extremists, driven by a dark vision. He understands them, because he's just like them. . . .

''This is why he dispenses with people who confront him with inconvenient facts,'' Bartlett went on to say. ''He truly believes he's on a mission from God. Absolute faith like that overwhelms a need for analysis. The whole thing about faith is to believe things for which there is no empirical evidence.'' Bartlett paused, then said, ''But you can't run the world on faith.''

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/17/magazine/17BUSH.html?th

White Dog Cafe
3420 Sansom St, Philadelphia, PA 19104
http://www.whitedog.com