As a voter who was both over 65 and temporarily disabled, I had to vote by absentee ballot last fall. Now fully ambulatory, I was stunned by the solicitude of the Democratic party and the City Commissioners in their efforts to enable me to vote this time around.

I had a phone call (canned, of course) from Ed Rendell telling me to expect an application for a provisional ballot. This is a kind of absentee ballot for those who vote at an inaccessible pooling place and are  65 and/or disabled. The ballot duly arrived, and I was instructed to fill it out and send it in. Since I'm no longer disabled and plan to work at a polling place on election day, I ignored the message. A telephone reminder followed. The other day the City Commissioners sent a postcard where not only the polling place was listed, but also the reason for its inaccessibility ("Passenger Loading Zone").

Wonders will never cease!

Marianne Das