I adopted a dog who had been abandoned at the Vet School. As other posters have mentioned, a lot of pet owners can't afford those bills. I lived with a passel of vet students in those days, so I had inside tracks. For the next ten years I used its ER extensively because the dog developed a serious recurrent condition. The care was always compassionate and well informed. And costly.

It is important for people who anthropomorphize their pets to understand that while all medicine is equally demanding on both the intellect and the pocketbook -- a hamster's liver is no less complex than a human's -- pets are not citizens. Your health insurance does not cover their hospital bills and your Medicare taxes don't either. Veterinary research and education does receive some public subsidy but it is not really an entitlement at any level. So when you take your pet to the Small Animal Clinic, you should be prepared to confront the full cost of this sophisticated applied science. It is not in the same position that HUP is, for example, with relation to the health-care marketplace.

The job of a vet school is to graduate veterinarians, so that they may subsequently make a living by selling their services to pet owners. Once again, vets can't make a living off insurance payments; they need paying customers. Vets generally are not as prosperous as other health-care doctors, although their field is just as demanding, because, well, most animals don't earn much money compared to humans. The Vet School has a clear policy of trying not to compete with its graduates in providing routine pet care. That's not what it's there for. It's still a great resource in this neighborhood and one that is there when you really do need it.

-- Tony West