In a message dated 1/3/2005 1:17:39 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
who gets to say which buildings they like and which matter less to them? Who gets to choose now history, now modernity?
Good point, Tony. And while architects' opinions shouldn't be ignored, neither should they be considered somehow better than anyone else's. This may be another illustration of the point made by James Surowiecki in The Wisdom of Crowds. This reminds me of the furor surrounding the design of the Guggenheim Museum in New York. As I recall, the experts seemed to want another classical "Metropolitan" idiom and might have settled for a minimalist "MOMA" representation. Almost none of the "talking heads" of the day liked Wright's design. Worse than not liking it, they tended to ridicule it. Yet, today, it's as important a structure in New York as just about anything short of the Brooklyn Bridge, the Empire State Building, or the roof of the Chrysler Building. Also, as Kathy Dowdell wrote last week in a letter to the Inquirer, (my interpretation of her point) who's to say what we miss if we don't make room among the visionaries of yesterday for those of tomorrow?

Always at your service and ready for a dialog,

Al Krigman