We also have a Residential Parking Permit.  It however does not guarantee a parking spot in front of your house.  It only signifies to the parking authority not to ticket your car if it’s parked outside of permitted hours.

I’m sure on street parking has been a problem ever since cars.  It’s a city and suburban issue (in towns like Upper Darby and Lansdowne).  People seem to be very willing to jump into an available spot, especially during inclement weather, whether they’ve shoveled out that spot or not.  Selfish?  Yes, but is it really worth rage?

The old adage “what goes around-comes around” is in force.  There will probably be sometime in your life when you have to park in a spot you didn’t shovel for whatever reason.

From: owner-univcity@list.purple.com [mailto:owner-univcity@list.purple.com] On Behalf Of Robin Gresham-Chin
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2005 10:37 AM
To: univcity@list.purple.com
Subject: Re: [UC] Re: Parking rage (and non-walk shoveling slackers)

OK, I wanted to stay out of this but... There are often good reasons for people needing to save parking after a large snow storm. My husband cleaned out my spot. I am unable to. Here is my dilemma. I qualify as handicapped and could have a spot permanently saved for me but out of interest for my neighbors I have chosen not to. We already have one handicap parking space on the block and I know of at least one other person on the block who would qualify. If we all had spaces set aside it would be difficult for others to find a space at all. No one on my block has criticized me for holding my spot during this weather, my neighbors watch me take five minutes to climb the stairs to my house, they understand the situation. I don't know about other blocks but I watch at least three people a day park on our block and walk to the trolly. I assume they are avoiding paying for center city parking and consider West of 40th a secure place to leave their cars. Parking is really tight here and I feel saving my spot for a week instead of year round is better for all of us. So I suggest that we try to think of this block by block. I am sure there are selfish people out there but there are also many like BA Showell and me who are struggling with more than the weather.

Robin