In a message dated 3/3/2005 6:04:34 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
In your message before this to the list, you said: "All these sick cat
stories is making me glad that we stuck to dogs and kids". Did you keep
the kids or the dogs in the fish tank?

Elliot
I'm glad you asked that question. Reminded me of my childhood, when we were so poor that my parents kept all nine of us kids in a fish tank in the back yard. My old Dad would bring home tadpoles and guppies from the crick where he eked out a living as a fisherman, dropping hand grenades into the deep pools to bring the critters to the surface. My Mum would roll them in gravel and fry them up. Course there was never enough to go around, and eventually we had to eat my youngest brother Lavoid.

But we had good times, though we were poor. I remember in the summer we'd rent a hot tub and all of us kids would cavort all through the long evenings until the cows came home. For a special treat my Mum would build up an extra hot fire under the tub, using old balusters and antique mantel pieces she had scavenged during the day. Then we'd toss the guppies and prawns and placentas into the water and boil them until they were just right, dip them in clarified butter with lemon, dill, and just a pinch of raw opium and scarf 'em down.

One time Dad brought home a tiger shark that had found its way into the upper reaches of the Delaware River and we threw it in the pot. Bad idea, cause it gobbled up all the guppies n shit and then the mothertrucker exploded. Fish was flying everywhere. Little tiny fragments all over the Winnebago. No supper for us that night. We had to send out for Chinese.