In a message dated 3/11/2005 10:06:37 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Scrunch the Cat just cleaned out his litterbox, and would be happy to donate
some cat poo...
A terrifying little news item for all you cat owners who think you're safe:

Cat Shoots Owner

BATES TOWNSHIP, Mich. (March 10) - A man cooking in his kitchen was shot after one of his cats knocked his 9mm handgun onto the floor, discharging the weapon, Michigan State Police said.

Joseph Stanton, 29, of Bates Township in Iron County, was shot in his lower torso around 6 p.m. Tuesday, the state police post in Iron River reported. He was transported to Iron County Community Hospital.

Michelle Sand, a spokeswoman at the Iron River hospital, said Stanton was treated there before being transferred to Marquette General Hospital for further treatment. But Marcie Miller, a representative of the Marquette facility, said there was no record of the hospital receiving a patient by that name.

A telephone message seeking comment was left Wednesday at Stanton's home.

State police said he was cooking at his stove when the cat knocked the loaded gun off the kitchen counter behind him.

AP-NY-03-10-05 1042EST

Also, FWIW, it just occurred to me that Cass probably picked up his Scat Spotting skills in law school. I would imagine it's on the curriculum at Yale Law or Columbia or whatever fine school he attended.

On another topic, so I don't have to squander more of my valuable quota, I have a question for the list. Does anybody know the origin of the phrase "kiss my bender?"

Last night I found myself for some inexplicable reason reading Stephen King's "Dreamcatcher" (2001) and found that he uses the phrase repeatedly. I did a quick google and it seems that the phrase is fairly recent and may actually have originated with him. Of course when I get time I'll do a more scientific survey, but if anyone else has any info please let me know.

Also, I opened up Google News this morning to find this headline:

It gave me quite a start, let me tell you. Some days it just doesn't pay to read the newspapers.