In a message dated 3/17/2005 10:21:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
I just heard that the smoking ban was tabled and the pay-to-play bill
failed...
Pay-to-play is one thing. A smoking ban is something else, entirely. I don't smoke, and prefer not to be in places where the air is smoke-filled (except for those back rooms, of course, where Matt Wolfe things I connive with my libertarian, anarchist, and trade-unionist co-conspirators). But smoke-free places are easy enough to find. And smokers have a good choice of places where they can go, too.

IMHO, smoking bans are unwarranted intrusions of government into the private lives of citizens. I don't think the issue of second-hand smoke rises to one of public safety and health except in the minds of the anointed who've decided on the basis of no empirical evidence whatever that it's a crisis.

We're already on a slippery slope. What's next? A ban on tinkling in the alleys between University City's historic Victorian twin houses? Why did those historic architects put in those historic alleys, anyway? What will Penn, Drexel, and USP students going to do on their way back to the dorms after they leave KelliAnne's and the Mill Creek Tavern?

Al Krigman
(Left of Ivan Groznyj)