After the last general election, there was a lot of discussion on this listserv about participating in the election management process. Several of us who are involved with running the polling places brought up the fact that people are always needed for staffing -- with duties starting with machine set-up through logging people in and checking bona fides when necessary, assisting with questions, and properly submitting the results to the election commission for reliable and accurate vote counting.

The primaries are on Tuesday, May 17. Most of the polling places are still in need of people to fill one or more positions. It's good but not essential to work at the same place you vote; there are lots of polling places, and if your own is already overstaffed, chances are good that a location a block or two away can use your help. There's a stipend of about $100 for the day, although most people who do the job are more interested in the process than the payment.

Here's what to do:
1) If you don't know the polling place for your registered address, you can check it online at http://www.hallwatch.org/elections/wardbook/pollingplace. This will not only give the address but also the ward and division numbers.
2) If you're a registered Republican, contact Matt Wolfe ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) to volunteer. If you're a registered Democrat, contact Sylvia Hammerman-Brown ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) to volunteer. If you're neither of the above, contact either of the above. They're the respective party committee chairs in the general area, and will know which polls need workers and so forth.
3) If, for some reason, you can't get to either of the above, contact me ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) or Bill Magill ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) and we'll run some interference for you.

I believe the vernacular for this situation is "put up or shut up."

Always at your service and ready for a dialog,

Al Krigman