  From: Mario Giorno<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  To: SKnight<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  Cc: Jimmi Badger<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ;
univcity@list.purple.com<mailto:univcity@list.purple.com>
  Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 10:34 AM
  Subject: Re: [UC] attempted robbery at 48th and Warrington

  Jimmi,

       I'm sorry were neglected like that last night. The moral apathy and fear
in the general public is often one of the main reason that a large amount of
crimes committed against persons and property go unsolved and the criminals
that perpetrate them go unpunished. The fact is that the the average person
doesn't want to get involved in an emergency or crime situation, because they
either fear that getting involved means that they themselves will get hurt or
blamed in some cases for wrong-doing, even when they were just trying to help.
That leads us to moral apathy, or just simply not carry and ignoring the
situation.
       People in the modern world lead very separate lives both physically and
psychologically. We often go out of our way to ensure our privacy and not bump
into people. We choose the sphere of humanity that we wish to interact with and
ignore all others - even in dire situations where life may be on the line. We
have gated communities and security systems in our homes to keep the bad guys
at a distance. Unfortunately we also keep many of our neighbors and the members
of our communities at arms distance as well. It's a shame, because by simply
introducing yourself to your neighbors and becoming friends with the people you
physically live next to you almost immediately create a sense of community that
makes people want to help each other and come to their aid. It's when we remain
distant from our neighbors that we create the opposite effect, moral apathy.

  Suggested reading or viewing:

  The movies "Crash",  "The Incident", and "Grand Canyon", and the short story
"The Whimper of Whipped Dogs."

  Mario Giorno
  36 S. 48th Street
  Philadelphia, PA 19139