For those not entirely bored by it all, below are a) my signed comment in
the DP about the article discussing the "Stop Penn" posters, and b) two
anonymous - of course - comments by denizens of the nearby University of
Xenophobia
who don't seem to agree with me or think my motives are, shall we  say, pure.
And who, of course, know nothing about who rents from me or what they  pay.

(if you missed the original article, it's posted on the NONID website --
_www.nonid.blogspot.com_ (http://www.nonid.blogspot.com) )

____________________________________

Comment by Alan Krigman

Those who think that the  "community relations" people at Penn are really so
much more intelligent and  well-intentioned than us slobs who live and work
here won't understand the  objections.

For those who do know what it's like to have Penn buy  control of the area,
not only non-University affiliates but also students and  staff who don't want
to live in a UA-type of structured environment, the  criticisms voiced in this
article are very real.

The article didn't  mention the Neighborhood Improvement District (NID). This
is a nightmare that  Penn, working through it's surrogate - the University
City District - is trying  to shove down the commuity's throats (or do I have
the direction and the anatomy  wrong?).

Anyone who wants a little independence in their private lives,  and who wants
to preserve the lower-cost opportunities of decent off-campus  housing (and
I'm not talking about 40th & Locust), register your opposition  to the NID with
our local City Council Representative. Do it by going to:
    *   with some background - _www.iconworldwide.com/speakup_
(http://www.iconworldwide.com/speakup)
    *   the form, directly - _www.iconworldwide.com/speakup/nonid-01.html_
(http://www.iconworldwide.com/speakup/nonid-01.html)

____________________________________

Anonymous comment #1

Krigman Sucks

Krigman:

You're a complete hypocrite. You're always the first to  criticize Penn when
there's an article about West Philly, yet you have no issue  taking Penn
student's money as a landlord. How much would your properties be  worth without
the
money Penn has spent on the neighborhood? Face the facts:  you're nothing but
a parasite feeding off of the University. For those residents  and businesses
that have not benefited from Penn's expansion, they have every  right to
complain about the NID and other University initiatives. For you its  just
giving
up a few cents off of the millions you've made off of Penn's back.  Get over
yourself.
Post a reply to this comment

____________________________________

Anonymous comment #2

Greedy Krigman, the  Hypocrite

Krigman is upset because, in his words, "They want to  make us pay for it
through a mandatory surcharge on real estate taxes; this will  hit property
owners directly..." So, Krigman will become poorer. You're so much  the Robin
Hood,
Anal. (Did I get my anatomy or my spelling wrong???) You know  what real
estate taxes go towards? Making neighborhoods and schools better. You  know why
yours are so (relatively) high? Because there is no tax base. The only  owners
are people like you who, please admit, are merely concerned about their  check
books and bank accounts. If you're so upset about the company you keep  (your
neighbors), then move to the suburbs and keep to yourself.