In a message dated 1/26/2007 1:42:42 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Also I  thought that putting up signs on wooden utility poles posed a danger
to the  crews that had to climb the poles.  Is this and urban legend or simply
no  longer relevant?

I haven't seen a utility person actually climb up a pole since the days  when
I chased behind the horse-drawn wagons delivering ice to the houses on my
street in Dorchester (arguably, America's first Streetcar suburb, by the way)
where families didn't have electric or gas refrigerators.**  Have you ever
seen one? The utility companies send their crews out in trucks with
cherry-picker hoists.

Al  Krigman
Left of Ivan Grozny ®

** The reason for chasing the wagons was to steal little chunks of ice when
the iceman was inside the customer's dropping off the block of  ice.