From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2007 9:41 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; UnivCity@list.purple.com
Subject: Re: [UC] More about the liquor store/mosque

In a message dated 2/26/07 9:07:22 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>The point being that when there's a need for a zoning change, it becomes a
matter of public involvement.
>So the owner can rent to whoever he or she wants that doesn't require
action by the Zoning Board without
>any of this.

i stand corrected. i hadn't realized (though i suppose i should have) that
they were actually applying to have
the zoning changed. which, obviously, does make it a matter of public
involvment. Any establishment that
serves alcohol brings with it some potential baggage. My bad.

not to big to say i'm wrong,

Kyle, I don't know the exact, specific change that the PLCB and landlord are
applying for on Walnut St., but the outdated zoning code in Philadelphia
means that one must apply for a change most of the time, even for another
use permitted under the current zoning.  For example, the Firehouse building
is zoned C-2 commercial which allows restaurants and many other things.
But, Dock St. had to go before the ZBA because they wanted to sell TAKE-OUT
pizza & beer.  It was for the take-out approval that they had to go.  (I'll
bet there are a lot of businesses in UC doing take-out without the proper
use permit.....)  Most businesses have to go before the zoning board.  It is
commonplace, not a big, special case.

This is why we need to revise and simplify the zoning code.

Melani Lamond

Melani Lamond, Associate Broker
Urban & Bye, Realtor
3529 Lancaster Ave.