I don't know for sure, but it seems like UCD hired Ross Bender to write the
NID plan. It's on the new and ostensibly improved UCD website
(_http://www.ucityphila.org_ (http://www.ucityphila.org)  for those  who don't
have the URL
handy). It's hilarious, in a poignant, Chaplinesque  sort of way. I hope
they're
paying Ross at the same rate as they blow the dough  on neighborhood's
favorite Flackette.

Here's what one of my colleagues had to say about it:

"... my initial impression is that they have to be kidding!   It's only 5 or
6 pages and doesnt seem to be much more than the outline that  they had on
their website last year.  Where's the detail, and where are  the bylaws?

It took a year to write that?  Looks like they slapped  it together over the
weekend.  5 pages of text and the first is taken up  with overview."

The funniest part (great parody, Ross!)  is the budget. Here's how a group
that wants to pick our pockets details in a  responsible way their plans to
spend money they never earned (our money -- what  the inimitable and now
indicted
Vince Fumo calls OPM -- "other people's  money"):
5. Proposed budget for the first  fiscal year:
a. Personnel and administration  $100,000
b. Programs and services  $350,000
c. Maintenance and operations  $250,000
d. Capital expenditures  $300,000
e. VMA replacement funding*  $400,000

For an interesting contrast, the  city's 5-year-plan budget is 254 pages long
and actually shows where  the final department figures come from. It's at
(_http://www.phila.gov/mayor/pdfs/FY07_Financial_Plan.pdf_
(http://www.phila.gov/mayor/pdfs/FY07_Financial_Plan.pdf)   if anyone's
interested.

And, SEPTA's budget is 199 pages long, and also shows a lot of detail.  (It's
at _http://www.septa.org/inside/reports/OpBudgetFY07.pdf)_
(http://www.septa.org/inside/reports/OpBudgetFY07.pdf))

Of course, the above two budgets are much bigger than what UCD is  proposing.
But the bite it takes out of the people who they think will pay for  it is
comparable.

So, maybe the UCD apologists on the list would like to explain what that
Steering Committee has been doing all year. And explain about all those changes

that were constantly being made to produce something this shabby (oh, sorry,
Ross. It wasn't your satire that was shabby. It was the idea that by putting
forward a joke, the solid citizens of University City wouldn't read between
the  lines).

Al  Krigman

Register your opposition to the NID via the Internet to  Councilwoman
Blackwell --
With some background: _www.iconworldwide.com/speakup_
(http://www.iconworldwide.com/speakup)
Go  directly to the form: