Kathleen Turner wrote:
"If the State Store system is trying to create a more "upscale" store, that
should include a commitment to deal aggressively with illegal behavior."
In the midst of a bunch of holier-than-thou messages, I really believe that
Kathleen has stated the case for or against the liquor store in the most
logical way.

If the Zoning process and subsequent enforcement are done properly, then a new
establishment should always be required to conduct itself responsibly.  My
understanding is that property owners/tenants (depending on how a lease is
written) are responsible for the sidewalk out in front of their premises and
any parking areas under their control.  This includes keeping the surface in
good repair, snow shoveled, trash picked up, etc.  Plus I take it to mean that
if there are panhandlers, loiterers, prostititues, drug dealers, vagrants on
these premises, it is the property owners/tenants responsibility to deal with
it.  By the way, we at Abbraccio have to deal with this type of issue
freqently; sometimes it means calling the police.

The main argument AGAINST the liquor store, in my opinion, is their past
failure to take any responsibility for outside of their premises.  If someone
really wanted to fight the proposal at Zoning, I recommend taking a videotape
of a few hours of the front of the current store at 41st and Market.  The front
of store itself looks like an uninviting hellhole; it seems almost barricaded,
as if it belongs in Baghdad.  And then of course there are the panhandlers
normally found all over in front.
Meanwhile, if the liquor store folk wanted to make a case FOR the move to
Walnut Street, then I think the best case would be a written ironclad
commitment to maintaining the entire premises, inside and out, in a responsible
manner.  A senior LCB should be held accountable for any problems.  (In other
words, not like at the current store.)

Perhaps you might note that I am not a big fan of the State Store system.  It
is my opinion that the worse liquor store in New Jersey is still better than
the best liquor store in Pennsylvania.

Roger