In a message dated 4/1/2007 7:34:09 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

A house next to mine has been left in virtually derelect condition for  about
2 years. ... When I looked out into the backyard, which has been a  ghastly
mess for years, I saw large piles accumulating of what  appeared to be jagged
pieces of wood ripped from walls. And, more and  more appliances appeared, just
piled up in the back yard.  Given the past  behavior of the people in that
house, I would not be surprised if the piled up  junk and broken appliances
will
lie there for a long, long time, just  rusting away.

Whatever is going on there, it is not good.  I have no evidence of  actual
criminality, but I really worry about where this  situation could be headed.

Is this part of a pattern that anyone has seen before in the  neighborhood?

>From my business experience it is common place in Philadelphia.

The decline is a by-product of poverty and a lack of enforcement.  In the
latter matter elected Democrats in power fail to exercise their  governmental
responsibilities. No guts no glory, but most of these bureaucrats  just want a
pay check and the trappings of power. One of the absurd by-products  of
Philadelphia not having a functional two party system, thereby thwarting a
competitive attentive governmental process.

  Does anyone have any suggestions about what I should be doing as  a
concerned neighbor?

Try this below link.
_http://66.179.23.19/DP1/Metroplex/Philadelphia/customerservice/selectbyservno.asp_

(http://66.179.23.19/DP1/Metroplex/Philadelphia/customerservice/selectbyservno.asp)
   If it does not work, contact me off-line
and I will steer you to a city  attorney.

Ciao,

Craig

Welcome to Licenses and Inspections Online Service  and Complaints System
The City of Philadelphia is now providing online  services for those
customers who wish to submit service requests to  Licenses and Inspections over
the
Internet.
To use this service, only addresses established by  the Board of Revision of
Taxes (BRT) are allowed. If your address was not  accepted or your initial
request was rejected, please call us at  215-686-2463 between the hours of 9:00
AM and 4:00 PM Monday through  Friday (excluding holidays). For all others,
please follow the directions  below.
SUBMIT A NEW REQUEST
Required Information: You will need the following  information to start your
Service Request.
    *   Request Information: problem or request type,  description of
problem, and exact address where service is being  requested.
    *   Personal Information: name, address, phone  number, and email address
of the person requesting service.
    *   It is the policy of The Department of Licenses  and Inspections not
to take anonymous request.
Click "Submit" to process your  request.
LOOKUP SERVICE REQUEST
To view an existing Service Request online you will need  your Service
Request Number and email address.        LOOKUP PREVIOUSLY SUBMITTED SERVICE
REQUEST
 #     EMAIL ADDRESS     Click "Lookup" to process your  request.
To discuss further, call _L&I Services and  Complaints_
(http://www.phila.gov/li/index.html)  at 215-686-2463.