Isn't it a general rule - people who've had restraining orders filed against
them by their neighbors don't get invited to the block parties?

  I'm just saying ...

"S. Sharrieff Ali" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

    st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                Melani…I noticed you
removed the “sales” signature from your e-mail post when you replied.
  If you want me to be truthful..than I will. I wish all the “sales people” who
have invaded this
  “community discussion listserv” would save all your “sales” for when your not
on this list!! ..

  Keep it simple and sign off as …”Melani…Simply Me”.

  So there..honesty from me to you.

  I am not going to spend much time discussing racism in our community beyond
these
  two stories:

  Story 1 takes place directly after the 9/11 attack in New York. My neighbor
rings my bell,
  I answer, he is standing there with a flag, he says “put this up right away”,
I say “why”,
  He says “trust me Sharrieff”.

  Story 2 takes place about 10 months ago, my neighbors are planning a “Block
Party” at
  a neighbor’s house..not in the street, at a neighbor’s house. A neighbor is
passing out
  flyers and skips my house (I know this because I happen to be looking out my
window),
  I later ask why my house was skipped, the neighbor says “maybe I just don’t
like you”.
  Keep in mind I am the only African American owned house on the block.
Coincidence?

  1945 or 2007?  People still fear “the black man” Melani, even if he’s
middle-class.

  Let me be a witness, yes Melani, you have given a tremendous amount of time
to our community,
  however, beyond many of us, you benefit in a very different way due to the
fact you “sell”
  this community for a living..and judging from you advertised sales success,
to the tune of many
  $$$$$$$. Enlightened self interest? Penn doesn’t have the market cornered on
that one!

  Melani, you are our best cheerleader for sure, I will always be third and UCD
will be our worst-first.

  Irrational fear? I think not. Look around you…look at our city, look at the
incidents of crime in our
  community over the last two years. Is it really wise to create the spin which
says “it’s really not
  too bad, it is not as bad as Center City?”  Is it wise to ignore the
stickers, banners and vandalism
  and blame it all on “frat-boys” and “track-stars”?

  I think it is smarter to recognize the facts and have a plan. UCD won’t
launch a safety related web-site
  because it interferes with the marketing of the area, I have asked. The
program which started as the
  “clean & safe” support of the community has become the areas premiere
business and neighborhood
  “marketing” organization full of employees who live in the suburbs!!

  Our neighborhood is not broken beyond repair but it is failing in many
ways…failing to support the
  diversity which makes us the most unique community in our city, failing to
build bridges between our
  strengths, failing to take our heads out of our asses and ACT!

  What are we waiting for anyway?

  Heads out and up!