From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Glenn
Sent: Thu 5/3/2007 10:44 AM
To: Mike V.; UnivCity@list.purple.com
Subject: Re: [UC] important question about free speech rally

Mr, V

I think you want a linguistic discussion about the way the word "we" might be
used?  If I say, "we in the United States believe in the right to free speech,"
you would be quite correct to point out that not all 300 million citizens do
believe in the right to free speech.  The word, we, implies a shared group but
is very different from the word, everyone, or the phrase, all of us.

When I used the word, we, I was referring to the following group.  We, the
residents of eastern West Philly subscribed to the university city purple list
whom are informed and interested in what is generally referred to as local
politics and consider concepts such as process of governance, rights, duties
etc.  For the sake of brevity, I hoped my use of the word, we, would be
understood to include folks that are sometimes called UCD cheerleaders, those
like myself wanting UCD to go away as well as people who have feelings between.
 However, I did not mean to imply inclusion of those individuals who are not
interested or informed about these matters.

Frankly Mr. V, I don't believe some upscale people on this list have enough
knowledge about processes associated with governance to follow the various
discussions that arise about the UCD, its corporate partners, "spin,"
propaganda, etc.

Now, if you want a public discussion about other aspects about my words which
you quote; please send an additional post with a clear question of the disputed
idea.  I get worried about the eyes of some of the old geezers on the list if
my posts get too long or complicated.

Taking a guess at your disagreement but trying to save the old geezers eyes,
let me say this.  It is not just that Penn entities are the primary funder of
UCD.  The UCD board of directors is always chaired by Penn real estate
officials like John Fry and Omar.  The board of directors is a hand picked
assortment of corporate cronies to the University.  They also carefully hand
pick a couple of civic association leaders to rubber stamp their plots and
schemes regarding this neighborhood,

If UCD was actually answerable to the "community" can you describe the process
by which the community chooses the UCD board of directors?  I think a hand
picked board of directors picked solely by closed university proceedings is
highly suggestive that UCD is the agent of Penn.  If you can demonstrate that
the UCD board of directors is chosen in some other manner, I will admit the
mistake of my words and apologize to the list.

Now in honor of old geezer eyes, I close.

Sincerely,
Glenn