On 5/9/07, Elizabeth F Campion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Behaviors improve as people acquire things (like homes) that they fear to
lose.
Home ownership is a good thing, even in 'flat' markets.
Being house proud, having privacy and control, being able to personalize
one's space, roots and familiarity do make for happier, healthier neighbors.

It always burns my britches when my wealthy realtor friends blatantly
disrepect renters and then send them emails advertizing "cheap" houses for
sale. The master illusion in this society is that buying things will make
you happier, healthier and better-behaved.

I was happy to see this article last month in the (free) online NY Times:

ECONOMIX; A Word of Advice During a Housing Slump: Rent

April 11, 2007, Wednesday
By DAVID LEONHARDT (NYT); Business/Financial Desk
Late Edition - Final, Section A, Page 1, Column 2, 1176 words

DISPLAYING ABSTRACT - Analysis of housing costs reveals that people who
bought over last two years have paid more for their housing than renters;
housing prices may not yet have fallen far enough for buying to look better
than renting, except for people who plan to stay in a home for many years;
realtors insist that now is time to buy, but skeptics point to extended
slump in housing prices in 1990s, following last boom, and argue that buying
has never been quite as beneficial as realtors and others who make money off
home purchases would have you believes

To read this archive article, upgrade to TimesSelect or purchase as a single
article.
http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F20913FF395B0C728DDDAD0894DF404482

Of course, if you want to read the article now, you have to buy it.
--
Ross Bender
http://rossbender.org