From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Frank
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2007 12:01 PM
To: UnivCity@list.purple.com
Subject: [UC] John Fenton/UCD in election shock!

>From the DN: VOTE DAY: ROBBERY, FAKERY, ETC.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/local/20070516_Clout___VOTE_DAY__ROBBERY__FA
KERY__ETC_.html

Community service, Philly-style

Luke Walker is a grad student at Penn recently directed to perform 20 hours
of community service for a minor infraction.

He dutifully appeared at the University City District on Friday. After
orientation, he was handed a broom to sweep Powelton Avenue. After an hour
and a half, things got interesting.

"The supervisor, John something, told us, 'We've got something else for
you,' " Walker recalled. "They put us on a truck and drove north to a
garage. It wasn't even in University City."

At the garage, the community-service volunteers were directed to load a
truck with barbecue grills, coolers and a couple of Moon Bounce inflatable
kiddie amusements.

"The next day, they drove us out to Malcom X Park [51st and Osage] and had
us unload, inflate the Moon Bounces and set everything up," Walker said.

Included in the setup were "Knox for Mayor" posters, which made Walker think
this was unusual community service indeed.

Several hundred people attended the Knox rally. When it was over, "we put it
back on the truck and went on our merry way," Walker said.

"It was bizarre," he said. "All of a sudden I found myself working for the
Tom Knox campaign and wondering, 'How did I get here?' "

The director of UCD's cleanup effort is John Fenton, who Walker heard was
close to City Councilwoman Jannie Blackwell. Blackwell supported Knox.

Fenton was off yesterday and did not answer an e-mail. Blackwell did not
return our phone call.