ATTN: University City Listserv
RE:     UCD and the possible violation of their tax-exempt status

    I think we're finally getting down to the prescient legal issues about
this "situation". John Fenton's guilt has already been pronounced by some
people off-list, on-list and, judging by his suspension with pay, possibly
within UCD. We know nothing specific about any actual legal charge that has
been raised against UCD in general or John Fenton specifically. I say John
Fenton is innocent until proven guilty.

**We have to give Mr. Fenton the benefit of the doubt before passing
judgment.**

     There's still too much circumstantial evidence and testimony that
haven't been properly disputed. I would eventually like to hear some new
public statement by Mr. Wendell, the director of UCD, about this matter.
Lewis Wendell's measured response is a certainly reasonable from a legal
standpoint, but to the local community it's still a little disquieting. I've
not heard Mr. Wendell at least defend Mr. Fenton's right to explain himself
or give full testimony of what happened the day of the rally in Malcolm X
Park. If I were a journalist, police detective or district attorney, I'd be
sniffing around for more information from the employees of the University
City District. This all begins and ends with them and their deposition of
what they had intended to due during the Knox rally and why. After they've
fully disclosed to the public what it is they were doing, we then have to
look at other involved party's like Councilwoman Blackwell. Did Councilwoman
Blackwell actually ask for a help or assistance that should not have been
coming from a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization? How much does Ms. Blackwell
ask UCD to do? and why?

**We have to give Mr. Fenton the benefit of the doubt before passing
judgment.**

Mario Giorno
36 S. 48th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19139