Hi, Guy. I find all this negativism annoying too, especially when it is
accompanied by a complete lack of practical thinking.

I think your idea is great, and thinking about it with some good business heads
could be very beneficial for University City

Remember, though, about the proposed NID: it was intended to extend UCD's
current services (let's call them "John Fenton" as a kind of discussion
shorthand). The original "John Fenton" was to continue being funded by UCD's
current major backers -- Penn, Drexel, large real estate firms.

If we are talking about a service entity that does roughly what UCD does, it's
going to cost something like what UCD now costs. That cost is currently derived
from millions of dollars from major donors. So let us be terribly clear:

Do you envision a CID that would seek to retain these millions of dollars? Or
do you seek one that will deliberately avoid them? If the latter, who else will
we hit up around here to replace those lost funds, and how?

A special services district is a kind of business. It needs a business plan. We
need to begin with a business plan, rather than with all this community-input
chat. Because if you begin with the community-input chat, what we're likely to
wind up with is a whole lot of community input into nothing.

-- Tony West