When I arrived in Ye Olde UC Village in 1985, there were SE Asian refugees
warehoused in buildings up and down 48th St. I taught English in Admiral
Court, which at the time was half abandoned. The other wing was full of some
Vietnamese but primarily Cambodians. A few years later, after I had moved on
to other things, the building was totally rehabbed, as were similar
buildings which had been refugee holding tanks, like the one at the NE
corner of 48th and Osage.

The story I heard, which may not be accurate, was that Willard Rouse had
purchased some of these properties and was responsible for the upgrading. I
can't remember when this was, but it was certainly long before Judy's advent
at Penn.

Do any of you old real estate heads remember the facts about this? To be
fair, I suppose one must admit that Penn and Judy made a difference in the
hood, but to give her all the credit seems a little unrealistic and mythic,
to say the least.