i think we need to start a sting operation with the help of law enforcement and maybe a telemetry device. A nice bike locked up with a cable lock will be stolen eventually. Once you find where the thief is bringing the bikes the whole operation falls apart.

to add BRIEFLY to the question of bike theft - a friend lost a bike because she locked it to a signpost on the street - the thief actually unscrewed the sign, removed it from the post, and lifted the bike up and off ! (probably working from the bed of a pickup at night)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of S. Sharrieff Ali
Sent: Tue 6/12/2007 10:59 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; UnivCity@list.purple.com
Subject: RE: Warning : Damage to porch to Steal a bike and recent entry in the day

The real problem here is storing a bike on a porch. The answer is…

“JUST DON’T DO IT”.

Storing bikes on porches is just asking for trouble. If a thief sees a bike on a

porch not only will they attempt to steal the bike (and damage what ever it is chained to)

but also take a look in your windows to see what else is available.

I personally don’t believe window bars are necessary if you are doing some of the other

important anti-crime practices such as:

Trimming scrubs which block the pedestrian-way or porch-view.
Create well lit exteriors particularly installing porch lights.
Invest in a monitored alarm system for your home and display a sign or sticker. Closing curtains when no one is at home or at night before you go to bed. Not placing valuables in windows such as bikes or computers (laptops) etc. Keeping a log of suspicious activity for your block and forwarding to the police.
Calling 911 when you see potentially dangerous things happening.

We need to be a bit smarter about crime & safety.

I have a block safety guide and a safety survey for distribution, just e-mail me off-list.

The keys are communicating with neighbors and the police about what is happening on your block.