Melani:

I have announced our plans for the "community planning committee",
and public forums, please don't call it "Sharrieff's Group".

I think the plans are constructive and already have multiple voices and
opinions attached. The idea of a planning committee and public process
was voted on by everyone in the room at the First Thursday meeting
(approximately 60 people), 20 people signed up to get involved, all from

a motion from the floor being presided over by Councilwoman Blackwell.

The purpose of the committee and the forums are to allow everyone to
have
their opinions heard and debated and to do so in a forum which is
off-line and
accessible to most people and their schedules.

Again, bring your comments to the committee or forums. John Fenton will
have our support no matter what, but we may not be able to impact his
circumstances in a way which will both satisfy him and what may be the
popular desires of those of us who have become accustomed to his support
and services through UCD.

The real question remains:

"How did UCD allow themselves to jeopardize their only solid
relationship with
community stakeholders and simultaneously bring pounds of scrutiny upon
their
agency and management?"

The fact is, Lewis Wendell as Director of the UCD is responsible for
this mess
with John which could have been avoided regardless of any questions
raised
about the appropriateness of contact with political figures, there was
much more
at stake for our community, namely John Fenton. If Lewis didn't realize
the reaction
their decisions would achieve, I would then say he is completely out of
touch.

I believe the disregarding of the level of affection we all have for
John Fenton by
UCD is at the core of the public outrage and also a large reason John is
now
unable or willing to respond to the UCD.

The UCD is responsible for their polices and actions in our community
and there
is no place to hide.

When is enough..enough? ..and what are you prepared to do about it?