I'm surprised this is such a big deal.  And I'm not sure what constitutes
"bad traffic" other than outright spam.  I've been reading this listserv for
at least the past 6 years, and i've never seen it as a problem.  I set up a
separate email account for the lists I subscribe to so that my main account
doesn't get overwhelmed, and I use Gmail, which does a great job of
threading the conversations to make everything much easier to keep track
of.  When my life gets too busy, I just don't read it for a while.  If a
topic gets posted that I'm not interested in, I ignore it.   If someone
keeps being obnoxious on the list, I ignore the emails from that person. If
there's spam (and I really haven't been aware of spam on this list), gmail
automatically filters it into my spam folder or I just delete it.   Yes,
there are posts which I don't like, but so what?  That's life, isn't it?

I think it's really useful to have a single place where everyone can post.
Having multiple lists ultimately just waters everything down and makes it
harder for everyone to get a clear and complete picture of what's happening
in the neighborhood.  Given that everyone who reads the list can simply
delete or ignore what they're not interested in means that there's no reason
this list can't be different things for different people.  For some people
it's an opportunity to discuss local politics.  For others, it's a place to
announce events.  For others, it's a place to complain.  I thought the idea
was that this was essentially an online community that reflected the
opinions and interests and needs of the physical community of West
Philadelphia.

dave