In a message dated 8/4/2007 8:50:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

One of the sons of West Philadelphia, _Kyle Cassidy_
(http://www.kylecassidy.com/) , has a new _book_
(http://www.amazon.com/Armed-America-Portraits-Owners-Their/dp/0896895432)
Armed America: Portraits of Gun Owners in their Homes
and cover _article_ (http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/view.php?id=15142)  in
the PW. I'm looking forward to getting the book, but I think the article's kind
of _insidious_ (http://malcolmxpark.org/?p=283) . Other impressions?<<<<<<<

Hey, Kyle's a talented photographer -- and the PW article is interpretive
rather than reportorial, so its tenor shouldn't be taken a a reflection on him.

Here's something he said after he was interviewed for that piece: "With a
topic that's so divisive and such a hot-button, how do you, as a journalist /
photographer / artist, be as unbiased as possible?  How do you remove your own
personal feelings from what you're documenting? Some reporters are better at it
than others."

Nothing's wrong with a straight reportorial as opposed to editorialized job.
Some might have hoped for the latter, but whether they'd be happy with it or
not would depend on the viewpoint, wouldn't it?

Of course, we've got topics in our own little corner of the world that are
divisive hot-buttons. And nothing says that Kyle has to be "as unbiased as
possible" in addressing them. He's not being a  journalist / photographer /
artist
here but an affected party who has the right to his views and a right to try
to convince others that those are the optimum views.

Still, the [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])  list is walking away from the ongoing debate -- as
contentious as
it gets at times -- and does not seem like the right way to handle things.
This, especially, because while Kyle, at least, has dropped out of [UC], some
others seem to have joined sweetbarkingcheese to show that civil citizens can
have a polite discourse but sneak back in here and exhibit just the nastiness
they pretend they decry.

Giving credit where credit is due,
Al Krigman