Philadelphia Forward is urging everybody to file  appeals of their real
estate tax increases, using "non-uniformity" around the  city as at least one
basis
for doing so. The point is that the whole system is  out of whack and the
arbitrary re-assessments this year serve to further rather  than correct it.
The
city is supposed to redo the assessment system from  scratch, rather than try
to effectively raise taxes by this artifice.

I got what amounts to 7.5% increases across the board (plus or minus based
on what appear to be round-off errors). I know of one rental housing provider
who got slightly more than a 100% increase (taxes more than doubled).

I'm trying to collect some data on anyone else who got a very big hit in  our
area. If your increase is more than 10% (increase divided by old tax),
please email me with the figure off- or on-list, as you wish ([EMAIL PROTECTED]
(mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]) ). Include the approximate  location (e.g., 4500
block of
Larchwood) and rough description (e.g., 3-story  twin, four apartments;
2-story row, single-family). If you do it off-list, I'll  respect your privacy.

I'll provide this information to the Councilwoman, who I know is unhappy
with what the BRT is doing.

Al Krigman