After our last message, many members of the Constituency for Change
responded, incredulous that Real Estate Taxation is truly so unfair, but  the
numbers just do not lie and our true examples drove the point  home.  Some
asked
for more examples and I am happy to oblige.   Trust me, this is not hard to do.
 The system is a mess and anyone  can find examples of inequity that makes
the city's move to  increase assessments and tax bills without fixing the
system
akin to  fraud.
Here, again, is the  problem in a nutshell:  looking  recent Real Estate
Transactions, two very different homes were recently  sold for two very
different
prices, but look at the tax bills -- the more  valuable home is paying much
less in taxes.

936 S. 2nd Street Street (19147)
$415,000 -- Purchase Price  ($90,300 BRT Value) -- $2,387.97  Annual Tax Bill

A 3-Story Row Home  in Queen Village

7100 Wissahickon Avenue (19119)
$150,000 -- Purchase Price ($251,700 BRT Value) --  $6,656.16 Annual Tax  Bill
A Detached 3-Story Home  with detached garage West Mount Airy
Every day that we do not  correct this system is a fraud perpetuated against
city property  owners. The trouble  is, I get emails like this...
Our house's  assessment went up by $3,000 and our tax bill increased by about
$85.  (We bought it for $20K more than the assessment, as anybody who can
read  the record of sale could find  out.)
...from owners of properties  who think they are getting a good deal and are
fearful that  if they appeal, they might pay more -- but they don't  realize
that OTHERS ARE GETTING AN EVEN BETTER DEAL.
All property owners should appeal their assessments -- no  matter how
undervalued your house is, SOMEONE is getting a better deal  than you and that
is not
right.   To review appeal proceedures, visit --
_http://brtweb.phila.gov/brt.apps/OnlineApps/appeal_home.aspx._
(http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=406165181&url_num=9&url=http://brtweb.phila.gov/brt.apps/OnlineApps/ap
peal_home.aspx)    Appealers should cite "nonuniformity" as the  reason for
appeal -- homes with similar values are paying  different tax bills -- as the
reason for the appeal.   As we move toward the October 1st appeal deadline,
Philadelphia Forward will be working to educate Philadelphians  about the
problems with the current system and how they can appeal their  assessments.
As a
service, we will supply homeowners with data and  examples of homes that are
dramatically underassessed -- paying taxes on  10 percent of their recent
purchase price -- to substantiate their appeal  claim of
"nonuniformity."Philadelphia Forward created an interactive  web resource on
its website to illustrate
that similar homes in different  parts of the city are taxed DIFFERENTLY -- and
that some are paying too  much while others aren't paying their fair share.
You can access all  the information here --
_http://www.philadelphiaforward.org/reassessment_
(http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=406165181&url_num=10&url=http://www.philadelphiaforward.org/reassessment)

For more information about the  Tax Reform Commission's conclusions about the
unfairness of the current  system and recommendations to fix what is wrong to
make Real Estate  Taxation fair and understandable, visit --
_http://www.philadelphiaforward.org/citywide_reassessment_
(http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=406165181&url_num=11&url=http://www.philadelphiaforward.org/ci
tywide_reassessment)

(http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=406165181&url_num=12&url=http://www.philadelphiaforward.org/citywide_reassessment)

(http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=406165181&url_num=13&url=http://www.cafepress
.com/philaforward.133453085)
(http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=406165181&url_num=14&url=https://secure.democracyinaction.org/philaforward
.133453085)

Brett Mandel,  Philadelphia Forward Executive  Director

"WORST  BLOCK IN CITY" PAYS HIGHER EFFECTIVE TAX RATE THAN RITTENHOUSE SQUARE
TOWN  HOUSE

Last  week's Philadelphia Weekly offered a cover story about a  particularly
sorry neighborhood block.  But, as troubled as the 3200  Block of Hurley
Street is, residents are still saddled with a higher  effective tax rate than a
tony Rittenhouse Square town house.  Here's  the lead:

Hurley Street?a tiny West  Kensington side street between C and D just north
of Allegheny, where  residents park their cars halfway on the sidewalk?is so
narrow you can  stand on one side and spit onto to the other.
The margin of error on streets this size is razor  thin, and drivers here
tend not to take much care. A lot of cars on  Hurley get clipped, which is why
so
many are missing side mirrors.  There's no reason to drive down Hurley unless
you're here to cop a bag  of wet, weed or Xanies. But then most of the buyers
are locals on foot  looking for nickels and dimes.
Hurley Street, say cops who work North  Philadelphia, may be the worst block
in the city. Most of its 100 or so  residents say they'd leave if they could.
Most Hurley Street residents rent the squat two-story  brick row homes they
live in. The houses are worth about $13,000  each.  (_Full  Article_
(http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=406165181&url_num=15&url=http://www.ph
iladelphiaweekly.com/articles/15286) )
Looking at the Board of Revision of Taxes' data,  indeed, the city values
most homes on the 3200 block of Hurley Street at  $13,400.  Between 2005 and
2007, 14 homes on this squalid block have  sold for an average price of $33,569
(the most recent sale was  $38,864).  So homes on the "city's worst block" are
being  taxed on about 40 percent of their true, resale value.
The last row home to sell on the 1900 Block of  Rittenhouse Square Street,
just off Philadelphia's swankiest square, sold  in 2004 for $1,100,000.  It is
valued for tax purposes at only  $300,000.  So this home on one of the city's
best blocks is  being taxed on about 27% of its true, resale  value.