In a message dated 9/9/2007 7:09:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Gordon Brown  and the All-Stars, Frank. They are mentioned on UC-list now,
because I just  dragged them in. Therefore they are just as relevant to the
conspiracy  theories of the village paranoids
Tiny:

This conspiracy is really much more pressing. I smell the Crown gone  rotten,
again, and historically mocking the ability of Everyman-bards like  Beam.

Perhaps you can con Jim for round trip airfare to Merry Old England with a
very generous per diem for say two weeks.

Ciao,

Craig

Coalition aims to expose Shakespeare

By D'ARCY DORAN, Associated Press WriterSat  Sep 8, 7:39 PM ET

The bard, or not the bard, that is the  question.
Some of Britain's most distinguished Shakespearean actors  have reopened the
debate over whether William Shakespeare, a 16th century  commoner raised in an
illiterate household in Stratford-upon-Avon, wrote the  plays that bear his
name.
Acclaimed actor Derek Jacobi and Mark Rylance, the former  artistic director
of Shakespeare's Globe Theater in London, unveiled a  "Declaration of
Reasonable Doubt" on the authorship of Shakespeare's work  Saturday, following
the
final matinee of "I am Shakespeare," a play  investigating the bard's identity,
in Chichester, southern England.
A small academic industry has developed around the effort  to prove that
Shakespeare, a provincial lad, could not have written the  much-loved plays,
with
their expertise on law, ancient and modern history and  mathematics.
The "real" author has been identified by various writers  in the past as
Christopher Marlowe, Francis Bacon, or the Earl of Oxford, Edward  de Vere.
"I subscribe to the group theory. I don't think anybody  could do it on their
own," Jacobi said. "I think the leading light was probably  de Vere, as I
agree that an author writes about his own experiences, his own  life and
personalities."
The declaration put forward by the Shakespeare Authorship  Coalition — signed
online by nearly 300 people — aims to provoke new research  into who was
responsible for the plays, sonnets and poems attributed to the  writer.
Jacobi and Rylance presented a copy of the document to  William Leahy, head
of English at Brunel University in west London and head of  the first graduate
program in Shakespeare Authorship Studies, which begins this  month.
The document says there are no records that any William  Shakespeare received
payment or secured patronage for writing. And it adds that  although
documents exist for Shakespeare, all are nonliterary.
It also points to his detailed will, in which Shakespeare  famously left his
wife "my second best bed with the furniture," as containing no  clearly
Shakespearean turn of phrase and mentioning no books, plays or  poems.
The declaration names 20 prominent doubters of the past,  including Mark
Twain, Orson Welles, Sir John Gielgud and Charlie  Chaplin.
It argues there are few connections between Shakespeare's  life and his
alleged works, but they do show a strong familiarity with the lives  of the
upper
classes and a confident grasp of obscure details from places like  Italy.
"It's a legitimate question, it has a mystery at its  center and intellectual
discussion will bring us closer to that center," Leahy  said. "That's not to
say we will answer anything, that's not the point. 'It is,  of course, to
question.'"
___
On the Net:
Shakespeare Authorship Coalition,  http://www.doubtaboutwill.org/

Copyright © 2007 The Associated Press. All  rights reserved. The information
contained in the AP News report may not be  published, broadcast, rewritten or
redistributed without the prior written  authority of The Associated Press.
Copyright © 2007 Yahoo! Inc. All rights  reserved.