In a message dated 10/17/2007 12:55:38 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

40th Street Hotel  Proposal a Dangerous Idea

Karen Allen,

University  City

Good letter, Karen. And, Mary Goodman's disapproval of the project -- also
published in the Review -- is squarely on the mark, too.

Many of you may recall that I was strongly opposed to the historic
designation of Spruce Hill, so maybe you're wondering why I'm against this
hotel
project.

You may not know that I was a strong advocate of the newer "Neighborhood
Conservation District" ordinance, which has the purpose of preserving the
"visual aesthetics" of a neighborhood while not subjecting property owners to
the
expensive, time consuming, and -- I believe -- silly detailed strictures of
the Historical Commission. The reason you may not know this is that, when I
testified in favor of it before City Council, you weren't there. You probably
also don't know that I introduced the idea of considering this as an
alternative
 to HD as a motion at the SHCA annual meeting that year (after advising them
months in advance that I would make the motion). But then-president, Nancy
Roth, said that people didn't know this would be raised or they would have come
 (it was she who didn't put it on the agenda, of course), so she unilaterally
 tabled it (Robert's Rules of Order, where are you when we really need  you?)
and the motion never again saw the light of day.

I'm all for visual aesthetics, when defined in a sensible way. What the
Historic Designation advocates termed "the architectural fabric of the
streetscape." I can understand how removing a porch would interrupt this. I can

understand how, in an intact and relatively uniform row of row homes or even
twins,
putting a big bow window where two separate original windows used to be  would
interrupt this. I don't see how changes such as vinyl windows on the
alley-side of twins -- barely visible from the street unless you knew where to
stand
and look, or something like stucco on the back shed-kitchen of a row home
affect the "architectural fabric." And I think there's a big difference between

a vinyl window, which can always be removed and replaced by something closer
to  the original, and a change that's irreversible for all practical purposes
(like  changing the size of a window or door opening.

And I certainly think that a 10-story building that looks like it came from
an "on-the-cheap" catalog rather than an imaginative architect, plunked  down
beside Azalea Court (its sometime name) on the southwest corner of 40th  &
Pine utterly destroys the visual aesthetics of a block with a very  pleasing
character.

Always at  your service & ready for a dialog,
Al Krigman -- 36-year local  resident