In a message dated 11/2/2007 1:07:31 P.M. Pacific Daylight  Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I can always tell when I ask good questions because they  get ignored.

Those of you who support this proposal:   let's have a real dialogue; answer
these questions (and asking me "why do you  hate America" doesn't count as an
answer).

Karen  Allen

Hi, Karen, these  are good questions. I don't know about anyone else, but my
hesitation to  reply is to avoid being overly argumentative.  I've spoken too
often  already, just to try to dispel inaccurate statements.  But if you truly
 want to hear another viewpoint, I'll be happy to share mine.  This isn't
personal - it's only in response to your request for other points of  view.

-How do you defend erecting a modern ten story building in an area  comprised
of 1850's Italianate three story homes?

"Italianate homes"?  The area is mixed.  On  the S side of the 4000 block of
Pine, there are 1850s Italianates  converted to apartments, plus the subject
property at 400 S.  40th, converted long ago to a personal care home and long
wrapped in a cinder block shell.  Across Pine St. and also on the N side  of
Baltimore, there are late Victorian houses, now almost  all apartments.  Across
40th St. from the subject property, there  are townhouses and an apartment
building.  Nearly all are tenant occupied  properties.  Slightly south of the
subject property, across 40th St., is  the empty commercial space, part of it
still with a sign showing that it was  once a travel agency, with several
floors
above which may or may not be  occupied.  Just across Baltimore Ave., a half
block from the subject  property, is the modern trolley portal.  In the other
direction, one  short block north of the subject property, there's the modern
one-story  Allegro Pizza on the east side of 40th, and the much-altered
building housing  Copabanana on the west side.  From the corner of 40th & Pine,
one
can  see two of the Penn high rises to the NE.  That's a more thorough
description of the surroundings, and I'd urge anybody interested in this
discussion
to take a walk over there and view it for yourselves.

"Modern"?  As has been written earlier, the  Secretary of the Interior's
Standards don't allow a developer to build  "faux-old."  The new addition is
not
allowed to look old.  The  Historical Commission would guide the developer to
make the new  part "sympathetic" - in materials as well as height.  When I
spoke at the hearing, I urged the HC committee to work to make it more
"sympathetic."

How does one "defend"?  Also as was written  earlier, community zoning
committees generally respect the wishes of the  nearby neighbors when taking
positions on new development.  So the local  community group's zoning committee
would
check first with those closest  by, to see if they object.  I am not privy to
their deliberations, so I  don't know where they are in that process, but I
do know that no owner  occupant or landlord neighbor from any of the locations
I described  above showed up at the HC hearing last week to complain.  At some
 point, to have  the local community association impose its will  on a site,
in absence of complaint from the neighbors, would seem  inappropriate.  To
have you and me, as busybodies from the next  neighborhood over, impose our
will
on the project seems even more  problematic.  I'm only piping up about this
project because I  want to see the Italiante building get unwrapped and
renovated!

-How is supporting this project consistent with the drive a few  years back
to have this area designated as an historic  district?

One might reverse that and ask, "how is opposing this project consistent
with the drive a few years back to stop this area from being designated as an
historic district?"  To some extent, I think folks in UC tend to support  or
oppose change based on the identity of the entity proposing the change,  rather
than on the merit of the proposal.  I think there may be some of  that
happening here, and I think it's unfortunate.  As I wrote, I  support
preserving and
restoring the building - and if this project will  allow for that, I think the
project has merit and should be considered.

If it were financially feasible to remove the cinder block additions,
restore the exterior, porch, original drive and gardens, and operate it as a
5- or
6-room B&B, I'd prefer that!  But I don't see financial  feasibility in a use
with so little income, or in a use as a single family  home again.  That's
what I said at the HC hearing.  I think we need  to be practical if we want
this
corner to be beautiful and in use.  It  will be far better than it's been
since the 1960s, almost 50 years ago,  if developed basically as currently
proposed.

-Does the current lack of an  historic designation that would compel new
buildings or building renovations  to conform to certain standards become a
reason
to ignore those same  standards?  Or to cite the lack of that designation as
a reason  for support?

I'm a little lost on this question.  400 S. 40th does  have an historic
designation which will compel new building renovations  to conform to
"certain," if
you mean "historic" standards.  No one is  suggesting ignoring them.  The
question is whether or not the Historical  Commission will allow additional
development on the lot.  The HC staff  favored the idea, in theory.  The HC
Architectural Committee voted  against it (as currently proposed, though they
made
suggestions that some of  the opponents found acceptable), 4-2.  The full
Historical Commission has  yet to consider it.

-Shouldn't those who  profess to support historic designation demand that
developers  voluntarily comply with those standards before throwing their
support
 behind those developers' projects?

I don't think that "demanding" how a developer spends  his/her money is the
best way to build a good working relationship, but in  this case, we don't have
to consider that!  The developers are  agreeing to comply to those standards
- and they must, due to the  building's designation.  Again, the HC is
considering whether or not to  allow this additional development of the lot -
so long
as  the developers comply with HC standards for the Italianate  building.
This is hardly the first time a project of this sort has  come before the
Historical Commission.  They work things out; they make  compromises.

I hope that this point of view is helpful to the discussion.  Would  others
like to address the questions?  It needn't be a dialogue just  between me and
Karen.

- Melani Lamond

Melani Lamond, Associate Broker
Urban & Bye,  Realtor