Several people have asked me off-list whether they can participate in the
SHCA meeting this Tuesday (Spruce Hill Christian School -- 42nd & Baltimore --
7:30 pm), if they're not an SHCA member.

I don't recall SHCA ever turning anyone away who wasn't a paid-up member. So,
presumably anybody can attend and hear presentations like that supposed to be
given by Tom Lussenhop about the proposed 11-story hotel at 40th &
Pine/Baltimore. I don't know how open the chair (Cindy Roberts) will be to
questions or
statements raised by non-members, but she's unlikely to attempt to keep
non-members from participating in open discussions.

Non-members, of course, won't have the privilege of voting or of making
motions. This may be important because it's an election meeting. And it also
may be
important because there may be some incentive to make and vote on motions
with respect to SHCA's official position or instructions to its Zoning
Committee
with respect to the "campus inn" proposal.

Traditionally, SHCA (and most other civic groups in this neighborhood) accept
dues and register members at the door, so you can join when you get there.
SHCA once had a brouhaha about denying a person a nomination for the Board of
Directors based on that person's not being a member -- then refused to take the
person's registration on the spot. So there's some question whether you can
opt to shell out your $20 during the course of the meeting if you decide then
you want to vote on something.

If any of the above is in error, perhaps an SHCA officer (hello, any of you
out there?) will correct me.

Always at your service and ready for dialog.

Al Krigman