In a message dated 11/12/2007 4:39:19 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Please take note of the extreme language used to describe  the enclosing of a
porch. Please also note the opinions offered on how that  one alteration
would impact the overall area.  If that type of language  and imagery has been
used by UCHS in its newsletter to describe the  alteration of one building,
what
can we expect them to say about the hotel  project's impact on entire
streetscapes?

There's something that makes this duplicity on the part of Mike Hardy and
those of his colleagues who abhor desecration of the local visual aesthetics
until one of their inner circle is involved.

When the hubbub arose over the porch enclosure at 4323 Spruce, the  owner of
the building welcomed a recommendation by Arlene Matzkin (I may have  the last
name spelled wrong) for a redesign that complements the original  building.
He took down the original facade (which even I admit was not  attractive) and
implemented Arlene's design -- at, I imagine, no small  expense.

The point is that the porch infill was a change that could be  readily
reversed or easily modified to be made more compatible with the  visual
aesthetics
of the neighborhood. And, even if the owner of that  building wasn't so
accommodating, someone else could have changed or removed the  work in the
future.

Now, think about an 11-story 100-ft-or-so-long building running west from
40th Street in the midst of an area of 3- and 4-story twins and singles. If it
gets built, it'll be -- for all practical purposes -- permanent both in
structure and design. And neighbors who complain as Mike's article stated "...
when a neighborhood developer shows a complete lack of regard for the quality,
appearance, and consideration of his neighbors, I can’t sit idly by. I am of
course talking about (the work at 4323 Spruce Street). Right now, it looks like
 he is building a bunker" will have no way of getting any reversals or
modifications.

I know Mike Hardy quit this list years ago because he didn't like to read
opinions he didn't share. But perhaps someone will show Karen's and this post
 him and ask him to explain how he can think one way last year and take the
opposite position this year. Maybe there's an explanation that has nothing  to
do with who's stroking whom.

How about it, Mike?

Al  Krigman
Left of Ivan Grozny