Melani,

Oh, I was so hoping that you wouldn¹t do that.  I was sitting on my front
porch, smoking a cigarette, thinking, ³Oh, I really hope Melani doesn¹t
respond to what I wrote.²

But you had to go and do it.

The fact that we do not live in a ³local historical district² did not stop
you and your UCHS ³Friends² from launching a vicious, personal and
unrelenting assault on the poor, tiny, empoverished congregation of Calvary
United Methodist Church when Calvary attempted to sell the domes and church
in order to preserve the spiritual community that inhabited that building.
You had no benefit of historical ³restrictions.²  As property owners, we had
³development rights.²  But you and your comrades very definitely said that
we were ³destroying the historic atmosphere.²  You called up the Eastern
District United Methodist Conference.  You called the buyer of the domes.
You did not rely on some historical designation.  You used every tool of
political power at your disposal to stop what we were doing.

Your hypocrisy on this point is nauseating to me.  Please take note that I
have never once objected to this project on the basis of historical issues.
There is little that I loathe and despise more than hypocrisy.  You and
others know well that historic preservation is not very high on my list of
values; it¹s nice, but pretty low next to things like housing, food, health
care, survival, etc.  I personally have been uncomfortable about the focus
that some have placed on the historic nature of the building.  It¹s a very
sharp double-edged sword that I won¹t use.  Me, I don¹t care about that much
about historic preservation for it¹s own sake.  I do care about the present
character of the neighborhood that I call home, and will fight to protect
it.

But you ­ you have been so quick to abandon your commitment to either
historic preservation or to the character of the neighborhood that it has
been utterly shocking.  For all our battles, I was always able to give you
the benefit of the doubt and attribute our differences to radically
different values ­ you valued historic preservation over other things, I
valued other things.  You valued buildings, I valued people.  But now ­ I
don¹t know what the f*** you value.  It looks to me like the answer is
nothing.  I assumed that of course Melani Lamond and the UCHS, who I am
usually opposed to, would of course oppose this.  To see you, of all people,
line up to support it . . . .

Melani, we have had our differences, but I¹ve always liked you, and I¹ve
tried to respect you, and I¹ve tried to understand you.

You have utterly lost my respect and understanding.  I just don¹t get it.

Kimm