In a message dated 2/20/08 12:17:26 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Polling, opinion-gathering, hearing from as many people as possible -
> > whatever we want to call it, it does seem that the opponents of this
> > project only consider it relevant if the resulting opinions agree with
> > their own.
>
> I don't think you really understand the differences among
> the following:
>
>      an anonymous online yes/no poll
>
>      al's questionnaire
>
>      a newspaper article
>
>      a public meeting conducted at the request of shca,
>        according to the ground rules set by shca

Of course I do, Ray.   What a silly accusation.

But I'm not sure that the intensely outspoken opponents of this project (I
don't mean the neighbors, who aren't writing on the UC listserv - I'm referring
to the people who generally oppose change in the area) understand

the limitations imposed by local historic designation, pro and con
the role of the Phila. Historical Commission in designing changes on
historically designated sites
the job of the Phila. Zoning Board of Adjustment in considering use changes
the role of a community association zoning committee in weighing multiple
factors
the detrimental effects of fearmongering
the importance of full gathering of facts rather than relying on gut
reactions
the unfairness of withholding information which doesn't support your position
the unfairness of posting misinformation on the listservs to skew opinion
the harm done to our neighborhood when folks make their decisions based on
who proposes something, rather than on the merit of the proposal

But, perhaps opponents do understand all of this, and are purposely giving
out false information.

- Melani Lamond

Melani Lamond, Associate Broker
Urban & Bye, Realtor