  From: Wilma de Soto<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  To: Glenn<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ; UnivCity
listserv<mailto:UnivCity@list.purple.com>
  Sent: Friday, April 04, 2008 7:20 AM
  Subject: Re: [UC] The fourth grade slump

  I agree somewhat.

  From my perspective, I see kids who come to school after their first four or
five years sitting in front of a TV or PlayStation.  There is very little to
build on when they arrive at school because their best learning years are
already behind them.

  We begin by teaching them what they already should have known before they
ever came to school.  Kindergarten, first and second grade texts have lots of
pictures, there's coloring to do etc.  These kids are already behind when they
started.  Under normal circumstances at the end of second grade, one can begin
the transition for third grade.  However, these kids are barely second grade
material.

  Then, POW! third grade.  Texts have lots more words than pictures.  It's a
different level of interaction with assignments, more reading, more writing,
higher-order thinking skills and the like.  They fall further behind.  They
cannot make the transition there let alone the transition to Middle School
style work of High School.

  It really starts at home because their best learning years are before the age
of five.  One has to have something to build on.  They have to know something
before they can be taught something else.