Paul,

I think you are correct on those two points. I managed an experimental
acupuncture clinic in the late 80s. (We added 5 auricular points as an
ancillary treatment to standard addiction treatment. During detoxification, it
was theorized that a more homeostatic state would improve outcomes by allowing
the patient increased benefit from counseling etc. During relapse prevention,
we hoped restoring balance could reduce cravings and also assist the patient to
better resist the cravings that come with addiction disease.)

I watched 50 to 60 people a day receive treatment. They reported that 1
acupuncturist tended to hurt them a bit more than the other two. We described
the sensation as similar to a "brief pinch." In my own experience, I tended not
to feel much discomfort; however, on one or more occasions I too had increased
sensitivity.

Many active points are below the elbow and below the knee. These areas may not
tend to be sensitive like the ears. Someone trained in chinese medicine might
have an explanation.

Acupuncture has not been well received by American medicine. (Parts of Europe
have been more receptive.) The series of studies, like large double blind
studies including sham points, that are necessary for acceptance require
resources. Pharmacological treatments have profit to drive the studies.

One area in which acupuncture has gained acceptance here is in treatment of
pain both acute and chronic. I am out of date with the literature, but I
certainly hope further research has been done in other areas.

Fear of the pain of the insertion is not a reason to avoid acupuncture
treatment. Korben et al deserve a lot of credit for trying this community
acupuncture approach. (Acupuncture can be an extremely cost effective
treatment.) I wish them good luck.

Glenn