Re: [UC] Dropouts and adult literacy"It's as real a look at inner city schools
under No Child Left Behind as I have ever come across."

The paper printed with "No child left behind" should be recycled and turned
into useful toilet paper!

It was another decade long set-up for privatization of public education and
busting unions. This little "experiment" was never intended to help any school
districts.  First, it ignored and obscured the fundamental funding problem and
the long term issues those cause.  Secondly, it rallied anger against the
schools and teachers who like the kids are victims of poor policy.  It was
ridiculous since the beginning.

Like other systems dealing with people, the professionals, teachers, should
have the support for professional development like other professionals have
during their earlly development.  No child Left Behind encouraged none of what
is needed while taking the opposite punitive approach.

Consider the average length of service for a public school teacher.  Consider
the number of teachers that leave after 1 or 2 years of service.  We have a lot
of idealistic young adults popping out of college each year but Philadelphia
constantly needs "special certification" as so many flee the profession.

Obviously the system is broken.  (No support, no back-up professional services.
poor morale as you use your own money for basic supplies, denial of overcrowded
classrooms, denial of behavioral issues which result, angry parents while
society treats you like crap.)

Gee whiz, why do young public school teachers always show up so quickly waiting
the tables at upscale restaurants?  No child left behind orders a speed test
before the tires are put on the race car!

The American people were sold this idea that decade after decade, teachers are
doing shots and internet poker in gold covered classrooms while Johnny was
ignored.  Standardized national tests for everyone would produce miracles and
catch all the lazy teachers with a simple explanation for student outcomes.

Exactly what was expected happened.  Some districts sacrificed education to
teach to the test.  Vital extra curricular programs, special ed, and gifted
students were sacrificed- Massaging data was needed.

Corporate America got the new data they wanted. Privatization and union busting
will be offered to the American people with renewed intensity. 'Cause this
brilliant and punitive, no child left behind, didn't improve anything.

I hope people watched the show you recommended and take the time and make the
effort to consider and understand the issues and policy direction for public
education.  I think the education of each generation (not only Johnny) is one
of the most important issues for citizens in a democratic society.  I think
citizens in such democracies agree with me.

I look forward to catching, Hard Times at Douglas High School.

Best,
Glenn