Guy has provided some thoughtful writing on the 40th Street Hotel plans.
Tony, I think the profits / volatility argument is more a consideration for the
developers.
We neighbors have every right to continue to defend our existing zoning,
building codes and height limitations against rapacious developers.
If the Hotel fails the neighborhood is stuck with a monolith and 100+ units
that can be easily converted to use as a Homeless Shelter, Dormitory or Condo.
An 11 story building is a dramatic and permanent anomaly within our Victorian
Street Car Suburb.  The neighborhood will bear the risks and annoyances of
construction and the ultimate use.  The precedent could than be used to attempt
hi-rise construction on the se corner of 43rd & Baltimore, or any other lot,
existing or to be razed, in our neighborhood.
If a Restaurant, within a conforming structure fails, the adaptive uses might
be less onerous.
Glenn reminds us that Esau Sanchez spoke of plans that were rejected and hopes
by Academic departments that were not funded.  Like Glenn, I'd like to see the
proposals.
PENN can eliminate competition, by overpaying.  But PENN should not be rewarded
for eliminating competition or organic, growth.  The Developers seek radical
variances to codes which are designed to protect neighbors.  Neighbors should
not have to subsidize the "hardships" of poor, institutional choices.
If PENN hadn't overpaid, another family, like the O'Donnells of 4100, might
have settled in already.
The current delays are because the Developers wants what they want.  This does
not include playing within the codes and regulations that were in place, when
they bought.  Pretending they were not aware of codes or their obligation of
"Due Diligence" is little more than a flipping of the bird at us neighbors.
Resistance is righteous.  Encroachment is an unwanted and unwarranted act of
aggression.  Don't let's confuse who is profit seeking at the expense of whom.

Merry Christmas and all the best in 2009 and beyond to all good neighbors!
Liz

-- Anthony West <anthony_w...@earthlink.net> wrote:
You have many interesting ideas about 40th St. development, Guy, that
deserve deeper thought than a snap response on an unmoderated listserve.
I'm sure the people in the business are giving it thought, amicably or
otherwise.

One caution ordinary readers should note is that a long-term business
plan based on a "high end restaurant" is even shakier than a plan based
on an "extended stay hotel". The Campus Inn concept has been justly
criticized for that very weakness: of hiding the longterm risk of
downmarket users behind an initial promise of an upmarket user. If
Campus Inn goes belly up, foes argue, it could be converted to rooms
where students might sleep ... and there goes the neighborhood. We don't
want no students sleeping in Spruce Hill, do we now? Ew.

The entertainment industry, I must warn readers, is even more volatile
than the travel industry. It's great for Penn, and flattering for West
Philadelphia, that Distrito is pitching in such monstrous rents for
(gasp!) 40th St. nightspot square footage. Maybe a new high-end
entertainment district will coalesce around 40th St. someday soon. I'm
up for that. But I wouldn't bet the mortgage on it today.

Long-range planners for a sustainable 40th & Pine property are free to
dazzle the public with visions of another Distrito ... but should gladly
settle for another FuddRuckers, if that's what washes up on the beach.
Still beats a stop & go. There will be no intrinsic protection, however,
against that site's becoming a stop & go in the future.

There's nothing wrong with either risk, in my opinion. None of the above
worries me. I could live with walking past any of the above outcomes.
For me, an upscale restaurant beats a dorm, but an extended-stay hotel
beats a stop & go. The true challenge for the neighborhood, as it mulls
over these options, is to figure out how to honestly compare apples with
apples.

-- Tony West

> I dream that the 40th and Pine site is developed by Campus Apartments
> and Tom Lussenhop as a high end restaurant with 25 car parking and
> either classroom or community space on the second and third floor.
>
> Guy

----

Elizabeth Campion
PRUDENTIAL, FOX & ROACH REALTORS, LLC
210 W. Rittenhouse Square, Suite 406
Phila, PA 19103
215-790-5653 Desk & Voicemail
215-880-2930 Cell & Emergency
215-546-9781 Shared office Fax

campio...@juno,com  or
home.in.ph...@juno.com for Rental questions

Link to Photos of available Listings and public, 'social' photos:
www.PicasaWeb.google.com/CampionEF
To check out all PFR and Multiple Listed Properties and
to review CONSUMER NOTICE, link to
www.PruFoxRoach.com

Save $15 on Flowers and Gifts from FTD!
Shop now at http://offers.juno.com/TGL1141/?u=http://www.ftd.com/17007