The first of the open letters from "two West Philadelphia Political  Leaders"
to ZBA chair Susan Jaffe opposing the Campus Inn zoning variance was  written
by Representative Jim Roebuck (somehow, his name was omitted from the  print
edition). The second letter in opposition was, as I mentioned in an  earlier
posting, from Councilwoman Blackwell.

Also, I did not mean to imply, as one follow-up posting  noted, that the
comments in my posting about unwillingness to  compromise by proponents of
proposals that have been relegated to the scrap  heap in this neighborhood were
those
of the Councilwoman. They were my  own takes on ideas that had underlying
merit but serious flaws in the means  being advocated for implementation. Flaws
that might have been overcome had the  initiators been receptive to inputs from
the people who would have been affected  by them, and been genuinely
interested in alternatives that would have been  more broadly acceptable.

I don't mean to imply that anyone's personal business is subject to
democratic approval. In fact, my position is quite to the contrary. People have

individual rights. But they should realize that when these rights have serious
impact on others, these rights should be exercised in a responsible way that
does not cause damage to those others. The three examples I used -- the
Historic
District nomination, the NID, and the Campus Inn -- are all in this
category. They damage others so the "others" have a right to become  involved.

In this instance, maybe an extended stay to accommodate visitors to  hospital
patients is a great idea. And, maybe it has to have some minimum number  of
rooms to be economically viable (after all, neither Campus Apts, Tom
Lussenhop, or Hersha Hospitality is or should be required to act as a great
philanthropic trust). But, if this is the case, then they should be looking for
suitable place to build it, and not try to make it a "square peg in a round
hole"
situation -- just because they can get a land lease at 40th & Pine on  the
cheap from those wonderful folks in the Penn real Estate Dept.

Remember,  you first read it here on the popu-list

Alan  Krigman
**************Need a job? Find an employment agency near you.
(http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=employment_agencies&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000003)