Yesterday to my surprise I parked in the lot where the strip mall is on
Chestnut between 44th & 43rd, to see a HEAD Shop.  It already has a risqué
video. So I walked over to my Cousin's Barber Shop now located at 4409 Chestnut
St (used to be where the smoke shop is now), and asked who had seen the Head
shop and they had no idea what that was, so that's when I realized it was an
old school term.  Smoke shop that sold nothing but drug paraphernalia had
closed in Phila. all but wonderland discreetly tucked away on Walnut St
Downtown.  And that was closed enough to UC & Penn's Campus to get things if
you needed.   Anyway, how did a paraphernalia shop open with no one knowing in
UC?  I didn't hear one word, and it opened on a Sunday I hear.  The owner was
there as I wandered in he stated he was from NYC and had his licenses in order.
 But I don't think so.  Why is University City the first new paraphernalia
"drug" store to open in years?  He had Bongs and Crack Pipes that's it.  No
cigarette or Cigar.  No cigarette lighter or ashtrays.  The Drug Boys were
cleared back to just that one corner in UC in front of the Chinese Food Store.
Neighbors in the 90's stood on corners to stop the heavy drug trafficking on
44th & 45th Samson St, the worst block south of Market.  There were shootings
all the time for those that have forgotten or just arrived.   I would not have
walked thru that block or either of the alleyways.  Now look at the Block!  I
don't think this is positive business to see opening in our community.  I can
see the flow of traffic now get your pipe and drug.